Need to compare the best car insurance in South Africa for an accurate comparison of the costs and coverage? You’re in the right place.
Accidents happen all the time on South African roads, from minor fender-benders to severe crashes. We all hope that we won’t ever be in the middle of such an incident, but the truth is that accidents do happen, and most of the time, when you least expect it. While the accident itself is a terrible ordeal, having to manage the aftermath can be just as daunting.
Costs accumulate quickly when it comes to vehicle damage. From small scratches and dents to major panel beating work, everything adds up. The worst scenario to find yourself in would be your car being damaged or even stolen and you not being able to cope financially.
Luckily, that’s where insurance companies are your saving grace; and that is why having car insurance is so very important. However, finding the best vehicle insurance companies in South Africa is no easy feat considering the wealth of options on your hands.
So, before you get an online car insurance quote, we’ve shared some of the top choices for vehicle insurance in South Africa.
8 Top Car Insurance Companies in South Africa
There are many fantastic vehicle insurance companies in South Africa, each offering its own pros and cons. These are the ones we have found to offer the best cover for the most competitive premiums.
King Price is fast becoming a leader in all insurance types, and they’re doing pretty well with their car cover.
A significant reason for their sudden growth in popularity is the fact their premium costs decrease as the value of your car decreases. This is something that not all insurers offer.
King Price insurance benefits include:
- Decreasing premiums
- Quick and easy claims
- The King’s Cab
- Emergency assist
Get a quick King Price Insurance quote here!
AA offers all three main types of car insurance, as well as a list of value-added products that you can add to your insurance package. Their premiums are affordable, and they cater specifically for seniors over the age of 60 with a package designed just for them.
AA car insurance benefits include:
- Up to 50% off on excess payments
- If you use an AA Quality Assured repairer, then no excess is payable
- Unlimited call-outs per 12 months
- Round-trip towing + overnight accommodation and car hire* Read up on the terms and conditions here.
- Comprehensive assist services
- Roadside rescue & security
- Emergency medical rescue
Extra products include:
- Fine Payment Assist
- Pothole Damage Assist
- Stand By You – a guard to keep you safe while you wait for help on the side of the road
- Accident Claim Assist
- Licence Renewal Assist
Momentum has all three types of insurance, as well as optional extras that can be added to extend your coverage. They offer no hidden costs and guaranteed premiums for 12 months – whether you claim or not. For those who travel outside the country with their vehicles, they offer Momentum Explorer as well.
Momentum car insurance benefits:
- Premiums are based on your individual needs. Choose the level of cover for your vehicle:
- Fully comprehensive car insurance cover
- Limited cover for third-party, fire, and theft cover
- Liability to other third parties only vehicle cover
- No need to nominate drivers – they work on a regular driver basis
- Cars are insured at retail value – with the option of insuring at market value
- Free 24-hour roadside assistance
- A simpler, faster way to submit claims via their mobile app
- Earn a cashback bonus of up to 30% yearly on your car and home insurance premiums when you activate SafeDayz™ and complete the Safety Score.
Top Tip: Momentum is also rated one of the top medical aid companies in South Africa.
Discovery has a wider variety of insurance types to choose from. They also offer a range of value-added products. They offer all three types of insurance, with their comprehensive insurance being divided into different plans.
Discovery’s comprehensive plans are called:
Discovery car insurance benefits:
- Immediate help in an emergency – You get immediate emergency assistance if they detect a severe impact on your car, even if they can’t get hold of you.
- The ability to find your vehicles – Find your vehicles easily in real-time on your smartphone.
- A panic button on your smartphone – Get immediate emergency assistance with their smartphone app.
- Avoid bad weather – Get warnings of imminent bad weather.
- Hassle-free parking – EasyPark gives you automatic, hassle-free entry and exit at selected shopping centres, as well as early theft detection.
Optional motor insurance features:
- Get rewarded for good driving – You can choose to join Vitality Drive, a unique driver behaviour programme that rewards you for driving well.
- Lower your car’s write-off percentage – Choose to write off your car at a lower level of damage.
- Pay lower premiums if you drive multiple vehicles – Reduce your premiums on the Executive Plan if you own several cars, but only if one is driven at a time.
- Boost your car’s retail value – Opt to get your car’s retail value plus 15% back if it is written off.
- Get credit shortfall cover – If your car is written off after an insured event and there’s a difference between the value of the vehicle and the amount you owe the financing company, they’ll settle the difference.
- Upgrade your car hire – You can upgrade your car hire to up to 60 days, as well as upgrade your car hire group.
Get a quick Discovery insurance quote here!
MiWay offers car insurance that is customizable according to their customer. In addition to the common three types of insurance, MiWay has Total Loss, which provides cover to clients for the total loss of their vehicles only due to write-offs, theft or hijacking.
They also also offer cover for limited third-party liability. Accidental damage that does not result in a total loss is not covered. They also offer a cash-back initiative, so the less you drive, the more money you save.
With MiWay, you can insure your vehicle for one of the following values:
- Retail value (the recommended insured value – the current selling price on the dealer’s floor as per the TransUnion Dealers’ Guide)
- Market value (the average between the vehicle’s retail and trade values)
- Trade value (the average price that a motor dealer will pay you for the vehicle as per the TransUnion Dealers’ Guide)
- Specially agreed value (which applies to unlisted, vintage and collectors’ vehicles, caravans and trailers where an appropriate approved source gives a valuation)
MiWay’s comprehensive car insurance offers you:
- Affordable premiums
- An easy-to-understand excess structure
- Great customer service – and the ability to manage your policy yourself online
- A hassle-free claims process – claim online or via the App
- Free roadside emergency assistance
- Six free WeDrive (MiWay’s take-me-home service) trips
Get a quick MiWay insurance quote here!
OUTsurance separates its plan into two types – Comprehensive and Essential. They pride themselves on being the most affordable insurance company, offering a cash incentive for potential customers who are able to find a quote cheaper than theirs.
OUTsurance comprehensive car insurance offers you:
- 10% cash OUTbonus – If you have been claim-free for a period of three years, you’ll receive 10% of your paid car insurance premiums back in cash.
- Free emergency roadside assistance – As an OUTsurance client, you automatically have access to Help@OUT – their 24-hour roadside emergency assistance service.
- 12-month guaranteed premiums – Guarantee your car insurance premium for 12 months at a time, even if you submit claims during this period.
- Low flat excess – your excess remains fixed, regardless of the value or size of your claim.
- Hand-picked panel beaters – Have your vehicle repaired by an approved service provider who will guarantee these repairs for 12 months.
OUTsurance essential car insurance offers you:
- Liability cover for up to R1 million – If an accident is your fault and you are legally liable for damage to a third party’s vehicle, they’ll pay for damages up to a maximum of R1 million – with no excess payable.
- Theft cover – If your vehicle is stolen, they’ll pay out the full retail value minus your excess amount.
- You can specify maximum accidental cover up to 40% of the retail value of the vehicle – If your vehicle is damaged in an accident or because of fire, an explosion, an earthquake, snow, hail, flood or storm, OUTsurance will pay out the value of the damage up to the maximum amount selected.
- You’re entirely in charge of the repair process – Your claim will always be paid out in cash. You can shop around for the best price and arrange for repairs at a service provider of your choice.
Get a quick OUTsurance insurance quote here!
1st For Women
1st For Women is an insurance company putting the safety of women first, ensuring their unique needs are met when on the road. They offer the three main types of car insurance policies. Depending on how much and how well you drive, you can even save up to R399 per month on your insurance policy.
Included in the standard insurance policy is the 24/7 accident and roadside assistance programme known as Guardian Angel. This fantastic feature includes the following:
- A Guardian Angel to wait with you if you feel unsafe
- App-sharing capabilities
- Mobile crash detector
- Emergency medical assistance
- A lift to wherever you need to go
- Assistance providers are sent to your exact location to help with a breakdown, flat battery, burst tyre or fuel if your tank runs dry.
1st For Women also offers the following benefits:
- Home assist
- Road assist
- Concierge assist
- Medical assist
- Tax, finance and legal assist
Get a quick 1st For Women insurance quote here!
As one of the insurance companies in South Africa, Sanlam has a fantastic track record with its clientele. They offer three main types of insurance, including comprehensive cover, limited cover, and third-party cover.
While third-party cover offers the best rates, it only covers your vehicle. Possibly the biggest benefit of opting for Sanlam is the rewards they offer to clients. The company rewards you for financial responsibility and safe behaviour through tier points. The more points you earn, the higher your discounts become. Tier points can be earned for the following:
- Improving your portfolio
- Managing your risk
- Programme wealth
- Online wealth
Get a quick Sanlam insurance quote here!
Other Top 10 Car Insurance Companies in South Africa
What to Look for When Choosing Car Insurance
When looking for the right insurance for your car, there are a few factors that you should keep in mind.
- Best Value versus Best Price – finding cover that is affordable and comprehensive
- Waiting Periods – How long before you are covered
- Communication lines – Is the company easy to get hold of when you need them
- Terms and Conditions – Make sure you understand the fine print
Three Most Common Types of Car Insurance
To help you make the choice, here’s a breakdown of what each insurance type offers you.
1. Comprehensive Car Insurance.
This type of insurance will cover your car against almost anything that can happen when driving in South Africa. Theft, damage from attempted theft or a break-in, accidental damage caused by you, damage caused by natural disasters, damage caused by a third party, and damage you cause to a third party. Due to the extended cover, this type of insurance is the most expensive of the three.
2. Third Party, Fire, And Theft Car Insurance.
This type of insurance means you are covered against theft, damage due to attempted theft or break-ins, fire and accidental damage caused by a third party. However, you won’t be covered against any damage you cause to a third party, nor will you be covered against damage caused by natural disasters. This insurance type is more affordable than comprehensive insurance, although you have less coverage.
3. Third-Party-Only Car Insurance.
Third-party-only insurance is the cheapest option out of all three types. This insurance covers the cost of damage you cause to someone else’s car and nothing else. This helps prevent you from paying exorbitant amounts of money for a third-party car if you get into an accident.
FAQs About the Best Car Insurance Companies in South Africa
You may still have a few questions that need answering. Here are some automobile insurance FAQs to put your mind at ease.
Which Car Insurance Company Has the Highest Customer Satisfaction in South Africa?
According to the South African Customer Satisfaction Index (SAcsi), Santam has the highest customer rating.
Do You Need to Get Your Car Insurance Through a Broker?
It depends on the type of services you would like. If you would like a hassle-free and more personalised experience with one-on-one communication, then a broker is a great choice. However, buying insurance directly from the company is also fairly easy and usually slightly cheaper.
The one upside of a broker is they make claims a much easier process for you.
Which Car Insurance Company Has the Most Complaints in South Africa?
According to the Ombudsman’s annual report, Oakhurst Insurance receives the highest ratio of 5.7 complaints per 1,000 claims.
Can You Insure Multiple Vehicles Under One Policy?
Yes, you definitely can, and most insurers will offer discounted rates when you register two or more vehicles to be covered by the same policy.
Which Company Offers the Cheapest Car Insurance in South Africa?
This largely depends on the insurance policy you look to take out, the car’s condition, and your personal age. Every insurer tries to offer the most affordable policy out there, so the easiest way to find the best price for you is with a comparison quote.
Final Thoughts on Car Insurance Reviews South Africa
There are many companies for you to choose from when looking for car insurance. You are bound to do a lot of shopping around before you find the insurance plan that fits you perfectly.
Remember to keep in mind what it is that you need from the insurance company and how much you can afford in premiums.
While looking for insurance can sometimes be quite stressful, once you are covered, you can drive with the peaceful knowledge that you will not be left financially stranded if something unfortunate happens.
If you’re new to the insurance world, find out if you can stay on your parent’s car insurance after moving out.